Holiday parties, Christmas shopping, making travel plans. These are just a few things that fill up our schedule as December 25th quickly approaches. With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it’s likely that you’ll be tempted to slack off at work as your mind wanders to other places. We all want to finish the year strongly though, so here are 5 ways to stay focused at work during the holidays and finish the year with momentum:
1. Revisit your goals. Look back at the business goals you set for this year. Have you achieved what you set out to? If you have, great! If not, then use this last week as motivation to accomplish whatever remaining goals you have.
2. Write it down. Make a list of all your tasks and projects, both personal and professional. Getting them out of your head and onto paper will clear your mind and help you decide what needs to be done and what can wait until January.
3. Don’t run yourself too thin. Between the shopping, holiday parties, work events, gift exchanges, etc., you can easily run yourself too thin by overcommitting to certain things and bringing added stress to yourself. Don’t be afraid to say no to a holiday party or event if you know you can’t make it. You want to be focused and awake at work to be as productive as possible.
4. Avoid multitasking. Don’t believe the myth that you can efficiently multitask. Don’t mix personal and work-related tasks, such as online shopping while you’re in a meeting or on a conference call. Prioritize your tasks, then block out time to work on one at a time.
5. Work at work, have fun on the holiday. A good way to keep yourself focused is by reminding yourself that today is not a holiday. Today is just like any other day, so you should work as if it were any normal day in March or August. Work hard while you’re at work, and when it’s the actual holiday, then enjoy yourself and have fun.
Wishing you all a strong fourth quarter finish and a happy holiday season!